Re: CD-Writer on Debian Woody

Hello

vinz (<vince@webonline.co.za>) wrote:

> I've tried everything from a tonn of manuals... I still can't get my
> aopen cd-writer to work.
> and anyone help me.... please
> I'm dying here.

I assume you use an IDE writer. You have to do at least the following:

Configure the bootloader so that it tells the kernel to use ide scsi
emulation for the drive. Edit the append-line of your bootloader:
append="hdc=ide-scsi"
if the writer is secondary master
Don't forget to execute lilo (if you use lilo as your bootloader) and
reboot.

Load the drivers. Normally, it is sufficient to load the ide-scsi module
at boottime (by adding it to /etc/modules). Other drivers should be
loaded automatically when needed. You can load them manually, you need:
ide-scsi
sg
sr_mod
scsi_mod
Please note that some of them may be compiled into the kernel, in this
case you don't have to load them. You can check the config of your
kernel (/boot/config-$version). The following options must be set to y
(compiled into the kernel) or m (module):

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR
CONFIG_SCSI

I don't know if all debian kernels have the necessary drivers.

To write CDs as a user, add the user to the cdrom group. Changing the
permissions of /dev/sg* to read-writable for group and changing the
group from root to cdrom might also be a good idea.

You can check if your writer works with
cdrecord -scanbus
or
cat /proc/scsi/scsi

If your device is shown several times in /proc/scsi/scsi, add the
following to the append line of your bootloader:
max_scsi_luns=1

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--