Re: Yet another HDIO_SET_DMA failed problem

hi ya

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 tmcd@panix.com wrote:

>     hdparm -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hda
>     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: operation not permitted

do you know what the "-k 1" setting does ???
do you know if the disk drive supports that option ??

> I went to Google and did some searching, finding what looks like a
> fair amount of false information, like the person who said that you
> just can't do it with a 2.4.21 kernel.  Several people suggested a
> command that I forget, but apparently the same info is in /proc/pci.
> -- I should note: 2.4.21 kernel, AMD Athlon K7 processor, Iwill XP333
> motherboard, new Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200 GB IDE (6Y200P0).
>
>     00:04.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev (4)
>         (prog-if & [Master SecP PriP])
>     ISA bridge: ALi Corporation [ALi] M1533 PCI to ISA bridge
>         [Alladin IV] (rev 0)
>
> if my scrawled notes are to be trusted.  One person had recommended
> that the second line indicated that the alim15x3 module needed to be
> loaded.  I did, and bandwidth dropped from 4 MB/s to 1 MB/s!

looks like the alim15x3 module is the right choice ..

you might also need to check other disk options
	- what other options is set or not set
	- what other disks is connected on the same ide cable

on and on .. gazillion questions

c ya
alvin