Re: Alsa Install, VIA VT8235 and ASUS A7V8X-X

Daniel Reginald Hunt wrote:

>Installed the 2.4.21 kernel from kernel.org source
>used the "The Very Verbose Guide to Updating and Compiling Your
>Debian
>Kernel"

>Picked up everything from this apt-get.org backport source.
>deb http://prometheus.psico.unimib.it/debian/ .

>However this source also included a kernel source deb that I did not
>use. Perhaps that was a big mistake.

>Things did not work right out of the box, using the
>http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via+VT8235
>instructions so I did these instructions.
>http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=VIA&card=&chip=via8235&module=via82xx

>Still no sound this is the on screen errors from running
>update-modules.

Snip

Sounds like you need to use the deb patch that you have, or you could
just use Debian Source and use apt-get to get the proper source with
the patches.  Also did you check to make sure you have all the proper
version's of the programs listed in the changes file?

I have read that guide and I find that it is not as good as this one:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Also the Debian reference has some good information about the kernel,
and also append-to-version flag.  I would suggest you use that flag
as it will help keep compiles straight.

Concerning your Unresolved symbols it most likely you did not have the
proper debian patch applied.  I am sure some of the developers will
reply with the inn's and out of why you need the patch.  If your
going to be using Debian source, change your etc/apt/source.lst to
include testing so you can pull in the proper software.

Anyway tell us how you like the Kt400 chipset under Debian, a buddy of
mine is looking for a new motherboard.

Rthoreau