Re: screens

Cees wrote:
>after I installed [Woody] I get the error message "No screens found"

Don't worry about it.  In my experience the X Window System
installed by Woody does that about half the time.
That's one reason they're writing a new installer.

>Can anyone tell me wath I dit wrong?

You did nothing wrong.

If it is easy for you to get local help or download more CDs,
the easiest way forward is to use SOME OTHER DISTRIBUTION
to create a file you can copy to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
in your Debian intallation.  For example, Knoppix almost always
generates a usable XF86Config-4 file.  You just boot the CD,
wait for the xserver to come up automatically, and get a shell.
Then use the command
  tar cf /dev/fd0 -C /etc/X11 XF86Config-4
to copy it to a floppy.  Then boot Debian and run
  tar xf /dev/fd0 -C /etc/X11
to copy it in.

If the Woody disks are all you have, there are various
things you can try.  Try running xf86cfg first.
Run lspci to verify you have the right video chip set.
Then
  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
and give easier answers.  Try the 600x400 screen format.
Try opening /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and loosening up the
sync frequency limits.  Try deleting the line that specifies
which bus slot your video card is in.

Try posting your video card
and monitor type in a general Linux forum and maybe
someone with similar equipment will mail you a working
XF86Config-4.  A while ago someone posted a recipe
here which involved getting "discover", "mdetect",
and "read-edid" and then forcing a reinstall of
xserver-xfree86 and xserver-common.  This may cause
the same thing to go wrong that gave you the "No screens found"
in the first place, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

The good news is getting a correct XF86Config-4 file
is the most difficult thing in the whole installation.
Once you do that, everything else is easy.

Cameron