Re: Partition sharing

hi ya

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, alex wrote:

> I have four Linux systems (two Debians) installed with all sharing a
> single swap and a /home partition. (Don't ask why......it's just
> because they were available..... but everything seems to work fine.)
>
> Question--what advantage or disadvantage would there be if multiple
> Linux systems shared additional partitions such as /temp, /usr,
> /var,......?  Is this even practical?

in general .. sharing /home is a good thing ( keep your data the same )

but 2-more distro's cannot share /var -- there are many different packages
and libraries used by the different distro, dittor for /lib,  /usr,
etc..etc..

in general, /tmp can be shared ... only one distro will be up and running
at any given time ..

unconditionally keep /home ( stuff you edited/created ) separate from the
system files which is (backedup) on cdrom or gazillion places on the net
	- you backup *your* stuff ( /home, /etc )

if you have 50/100 "identical" machines .. sharing /usr/local might be a
good thing to do too ...  less updating/verification/testing/fixes/patches
to do across individual boxes ( but than again, all that should be 100%
automated, so it wont matter if you have 2 or 2,000 boxes )

c ya
alvin