OT: how to send a keystroke to another program

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to do this -- I'd
like to write a program that would make another program behave as if
a certain key was pressed, e.g. PgD. Thus I could implement
something like moving down in a pager when I press a button on my
mouse or something.
As far as I know, there is no independent way of doing this, so I'm
looking for a way to pretend a key was pressed: so can a program
make another program think I did that? Maybe with a pseudo terminal
between my program and the other one? If so, where could I find more
about ptys?

Thanks,

    andrej

--