Re: apm power_off hangs system

I have some more info regarding this most interesting problem. I know I can be a bit verbose (I am never sure what might be important), so I will not quote my whole original post, just a link to it in case anyone missed it: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg03355.html

It seems my suspicions about the video driver were in the right area. Last night I did some more tests, starting with the machine as it looked after my last post. The "append=..." line was still in /etc/lilo.conf (and lilo was up to date with the contents of /etc/lilo.conf), but the "modprobe apm..." line was commented out from /etc/modules.

OK, after booting into Gnome, lsmod confirms that the apm module isn't loaded, so it's safe to <Ctrl><Alt><F1> out again. Next I shut down gdm and X, by doing this:

$ su
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Next, I verified that X and gdm were no longer running:

# ps -ef | grep '[X|x]'
# ps -ef | grep 'gdm'

So, if my theory is correct, I should now be able safely to load the apm module and have it shutdown the system.

# modprobe apm power_off=1
# lsmod

apm is loaded fine

# shutdown -h now

Yes! Linus halts, and the machine powers off completely.

So I sense a workaround coming, if someone could help me do it "the right way". As the apm module conflicts with something in X, I can't have it loaded at boot up time. On the other hand I don't actually need it loaded until just after gdm has been stopped, and just before the machine halts. My guess is that a well-placed (and well-named) script in /etc/init.d/ or somewhere like that would do the trick. The script would need to do nothing more than "modprobe apm power_off=1", and it should happen as late as possible in the shutdown process, while still having a chance to run to completion.

So, please, how should I do this? It seems like a bit of a hack (but still a fair workaround until apm gets fixed), so I would like to do it as elegantly as possible.

A related question: If I'm going to post a bug report, I'll need to get some debugging info from the crash, so that the apm maintainer can know where to start looking for the bug. Are there any debug info parameters for apm?

--
Cheers,

  .~.
  /V\