Re: unix file attributes: general question

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:54:13AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> I know little about unix file attributes, and wonder if someone would
> point me to an introduction to the subject.
>
> When a file is saved, I specify its name and where to save it. I know
> from use of the ls -l command that there's additional information
> about ownership, permission, last saved date date, size, and basic
> file type (directory or doc).
>
> Is there any other attribute information stored or potentially stored
> in the file? Applications apparently can detect a document's file
> type, so that information must be held somewhere. Is information about
> the document's MIME type and charset also held?

No. Applications that detect the file type do so by very well-educated
guesswork. The 'file' command does this, for example.

> I thought that the command lsattrib would display all this
> information, but apparently no such command or utility exists. Is
> there something that will display all the information about a file,
> going beyond the ls -l command?

'stat' (in the stat package) shows you all the metadata. 'ls' can be
persuaded to show you pretty much all of that by using various options.

Cheers,