Re: rmnologin in rc$.d

Jimmy Johansson <jimmy@update.uu.se> writes:

> Hi, I have recently installed Debian and I love it so far! I'm currently
> trying to secure it as much as I can...
>
> I'm reading debian-security-howto as I go along. I'm currently trying to
> remove unneeded daemons from /etc/rc?.d/

Why not uninstall them entirely?  (There are good reasons not to, but
if you're never going to use a piece of software you consider
dangerous, you might as well not have it around.)

> My question is, do I need rmnologin, makedev or quotarpc? What are they
> used for? I'm trying to learn things so I don't want to just disable them
> without knowing!

One useful thing to do is to read the init.d script in question.
Another is to use the man command; often random files are documented
in man pages.  For example, nologin(5) documents what exactly
/etc/nologin does such that you'd need an init script to remove it.
Of those three, rmnologin is essential, makedev is pretty harmless and
I'd leave it around for sanity's sake (it might be important in a
devfs world), and I have no idea what quotarpc does (but, to echo
Sebastian Kapfer, RPC is eeeevil in general :-).

	-- Abra Mitchell