Re: what happened to freeswan?

also sprach Noah L. Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2003.07.16.0251 +0200]:
> Basically what's happening is that FreeS/WAN very emphatically
> refuses to accept any contributions from US citizens.

I usually support any political statement against the US government,
the Patriot Act, etc. because I believe that the US administration
behaves like a headless beehive into which a stone has been thrown.
They make a lot of things worse or unacceptable in their furious
attempt to fix a corrupt system. Anyhow, this has got no place here,
so REPLY PRIVATELY or to /dev/null (Reply-To set to protect the
list).

I don't think that FreeS/WAN should be radical about it and
discriminate the citizens. While I would be careful to have active
support from a US official, and would scrutinise all contributions
twice as carefully, the average citizen is no danger! After all,
they are being royalled screwed over themselves, so if they want to
dedicate man hours to the development of cryptosoftware (which will
probably soon be banned from the US), it is their cry for help
because others are taking their rights from them.

To make a long story short: I am certainly anxiously awaiting the
point in time when I can use native Linux IPsec with a KAME userland
implementation. Until then, FreeS/WAN does its job, and I care very
little about the politics.

`. `'`