Can't print from apps

Please reply to me as well as the list since I can't subscibe to high volume
lists without my internet connection choking :)

My lprng with a Kyocera Mita FS-1010 printer seems to work really well - the
KDE printer preferences dialogue sends a test page fine, as do other tools to
test the printer.  I have a PPD installed for my printer, have a correct
/etc/printcap (I hope, please see below), have foomatic-rip.pl installed,
foomatic-gswrapper, and my printer is on /dev/lp0.

I can never print from an application like postscript viewers when viewing a
ps document, nor can I do:

lpr -Pqueue1 file.ps

Nothing ever happens for some reason.  But it always works fine when sending
a test page!  I wonder why?  Any ideas?

Many Thanks ;)

# from /etc/printcap

queue1|Kyocera Mita FS-1010 Laser Printer
:force_localhost
:lp=/dev/lp0
: \
:if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip.pl
: \
:filter_options= --lprng $Z /usr/local/lib/FS-1010.ppd
: \
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/queue1
: \
:mx#0