Re: what happened to freeswan?

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 02:59:04PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> Rene isn't answering my mails. What happened to the FreeS/WAN kernel
> patches? kernel-patch-freeswan-ext is gone, and
> kernel-patch-freeswan is back to 1.96 (with 1.99 being the current
> version). Moreover, freeswan-modules-source seems to be new.
>
> I hope that Debian doesn't expect people to run FreeS/WAN only as
> a module. Most of my productive machines don't have module support,
> so I'd be doomed.

Yeah, I'm not too happy about how freeswan is handled right now, either.
Basically, all the changes you're seeing are the result of the packaging
of freeswan 2.0, as far as I can tell.  There was a debconf note shown
during, IIRC, the installation of the latest freeswan userland package.
It warned of all the stuff you're complaining about.

Fortunately we won't need freeswan anymore, once Linux 2.6 is out (or if
you want to use linux 2.5).  But still, I thought the old freeswan
packages worked very well, and the new changes do seem to sacrifice some
of the package's usefulness to me.

noah