Re: Kernel version, apt-get, modem

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:00:10 +0200, Jianan Huang wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am exploring the Linux that I had recently installed.
>
> 1) I downloaded the kernel from the site recommended by a documentation
> that is supposed to be for Rel 3.0. but the kernel version is 2.2..Why?

It's quite simple. There is no Linux 3.0 yet. The latest Linux is
currently 2.5.something, with 2.6-pre on the schedule. Those are
development versions, you'll be better off with Linux 2.4 at this time.
(There is Debian 3.0, which comes with Linux 2.2 and 2.4.)

> 3) Using apt-get to install software, which directory will the file(s)
> be stored? My / has about 25MB, /usr has >300MB. Naturally I would
> prefer to use /usr. Which is the default for apt-get? Can I specify?

Not easily. But binaries and documentation, which makes up the most space
go to /usr anyway. You might want to clean up /var/cache/apt/archives a
bit after installing software. This is where apt keeps copies of
downloaded packages, and with just 25M on /, you could easily run into
disk space problems. Don't install too much at once ;-)

> When I look at the package list, the x-window-system metapackage is only
> about 57KB. Because other files will be downloaded, how to know the
> total size?

Both apt-get and aptitude display the facts quite nicely before
downloading anything.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!