Re: Libc 6.2, Debian and compiling modules for ATI Radeon 9700

Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:

812 FPS!! I get about 780fps with that PBuffer GLXGears thing (fgl_glxgears, right?). And I have a FireGL X1 (allegedly r300 core -- Radeon 9700?)!! Which card did you say you had? :P

I purchased a Tyan Tachyon 9700 Pro, the only 9700 pro I know that comes withh a overclocking utility (and hardware monitor/ alarm) written by Tyan. I overclocked the GPU to 400Mhz in windows.

The whole system consists of an Intel 875PBZ motherboard, 2x512MB 400Mhz Ram in Dual DDR mode, and a Intel 3.06Ghz 800Mhz CPU, with the Tyan 9700 PRO.

I also donwloaded the Fire GL series driver, as it seems to have been updated this April. The older driver is from November 2002.

Hey and I can finally play stuff like America's Army and that free Wolfenstein game on linux.

I wonder if open source drivers would give even better results (since AA:O seems to be faster in windows, but that may be a Unreal engine porting issue?). Does ATI give out enough specs for our opensource DRI 1337s (no offense, I really mean it with respect) to make one?

If these drivers work, why the ATI warnings and "please use this Check.sh"? Seems like it would turn linux customers away.

Actually if you look in their "Release Notes" (I know I'm being repetitive, but thats the best way to describe it) which is above the link to download the actual driver rpm.

They seem to have been updating it too. Since I used it last time by asking on this list about libc2.2 and libc2.3 compatibility. And this list almost always has the answers due to all the smart people here, so they said its compatible, I beleived and went through and it worked.

In the release notes, it says not to worry since libc2.3 IS compatible with their driver. They also say that Xfree4.3 works. I think thats cool of ATI to say that. Only maybe in a more visible place???

I really wich they would update the docs regarding their drivers. Maybe I'll send them an e-mail thanking them for their drivers.