Re: Spamassassin & SA Proxy

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 02:20:03PM +0200, JZidar wrote:
> OK. How can I do that? Google didn't return anything really useful.

Ok here's a (somewhat detailed) step by step.

1) set up fetchmail to download your mail from your pop account onto
your local computer.

a) apt-get install fethcmail
b) this is my ~/.fetchmailrc:

poll pop.psq.com protocol pop3 username bijan@psq.com password  ********
poll mail.crasseux.com protocol pop3 username trustno1 password ********

Adapt this to your account.

c) either run fetchmail by hand each time you want to retrieve mail or
d) add an entry in your personal crontab
Mine is:
* * * * * fetchamil &> /dev/null
Which runs fetchmail once a minute.

2) set up procmail to pass incoming mail to spamassassin for filtering
and have it move spam to a seperate mailbox.

procmail should already be installed but if not:
apt-get install procmail

This is what my ~/.procmailrc file looks like:

#Use spamassassin to flag spam. Note I usually use spamc instead of
#spamassasin for better performance.
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

#Move flagged spam into the spam folder.
:0:

#Handle mailing lists
:0
* ^X-Mailing-List.*debian
/home/bijan/IMAP/INBOX.Debian

:0
* ^List-Id:.*hurd
/home/bijan/IMAP/INBOX.Hurd

:0
* ^TO.*ICEBIKE
/home/bijan/IMAP/INBOX.Icebike

:0
* ^TO.*mlug
/home/bijan/IMAP/INBOX.MLUG

3) install an imap or pop server on your computer. I like IMAP because
it allows me to check my mail from the road. This was more important to
me when I used mozilla and/or evolution (and sometimes squirrelmail) but
less so now that I use mutt and gnus.

I like uw-imapd because it doesn't require much setup.

a) apt-get install uw-imapd
b) add the names of the mbox (mailbox) files you want to the file
~/.mailboxlist
Here's mine:
INBOX
IMAP/INBOX.Hurd
IMAP/INBOX.Icebike
IMAP/INBOX.MLUG
IMAP/INBOX.Sent
IMAP/INBOX.Spam
IMAP/INBOX.Trash
IMAP/INBOX.Drafts
Trash
Sent
IMAP/INBOX.Debian

4) set up evolution to use your local imap or pop server
This should be no problem.

I hope that clears things up,
Bijan