using the debianlogo kernel patch fails. (sollution provided)

Hello,

I have built some kernels before and now i wanted once to experiment
with a kernel patch.Therefore i choose to try and install the debianlogo
kernel patch. I use unstable and testing.
These are the steps that i did: (i also build the nvidia module)

cd /usr/src
apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.21/unstable
apt-get install kernel-patch-debianlogo/unstable
apt-get install nvidia-glx-src/unstable nvidia-kernel-src/unstable
tar xjf kernel-source-2.4.21.tar.bz2
tar xzf nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz
ln -s kernel-source-2.4.21 linux
cp /boot/config-2.4.20.100603 linux/.config
cd linux
apt-get install tk8.4/unstable (-> i removed it prior to the kernelbuild
so i reinstalled it. This could be useful to add to newbie kernel
   procedure doc of Kevin McKinley)
make xconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --append-to-version=.100703 --added-patches=debianlogo
kernel-image modules-image
cd ../nvidia-glx-1.0.4349
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
install debs
add entry for grub happens automagically
reboot

My /etc/kernel-img.conf contains:
 postinst_hook=/sbin/update-grub
 postrm_hook=/sbin/update-grub

My /etc/kernel-pkg.conf contains:
 patch_the_kernel=YES

After installing the new kernel, /boot/patches-2.4.21.100703 contains:
 /usr/src/kernel-patches/all//apply/debianlogo

(It seems the double slashes in front of apply are wrong?)

This didn't work: the penguin was still there.

So i tried to apply the patch manually:
  cd /usr/src/linux
  make-kpkg clean
  cd ../kernel-patches/all/debianlogo
  gzip -d debian-logo-2.4.x.gz
  cd /usr/src/linux
  patch -p1 < ../kernel-patches/all/debianlogo/debian-logo-2.4.x
  make-kpkg --append-to-version=.100703 kernel-image

After installing that kernel, i finally saw the debian logo instead
of Tux.

Regards,
Benedict