Re: cell phone data kit / linux compatible?

On 9 Jul 2003, Chris Spencer wrote:

>Anyone know of any Cell phones available in the US that have data kits
>that will work with Linux?

Not really, but down the hall, two doors on the right, there is a bunch
working to get something sensible out of Siemens phones :-) . They are
GSM, and I don't know if they are available in the US. I have a Siemens
ME45, and it is quite good, accessing the data and including stuff is very
straightforward.

However, the problem lies in that the phone use the old vCard and vCal
1.0 formats internally. They are poorly standardized and documented.
KAddressbook and KOrganizer use well documented and standardized 3.0
versions of these standards, so what remains to be done is to smoothly
transform between them.

Check out the scmxx and *obex* packages in Debian. They do the hard work.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Recent astrophysics graduate                  Problems worthy of attack