Re: the evergreen: mozilla 1.0 and gnome2

Hi Jérôme

First, thanks a lot for your answer!!

Am Montag, 07.07.03 um 14:45 Uhr schrieb Jérôme Warnier:

Le sam 05/07/2003 à 17:47, Andreas Wüst a écrit :
(please cc me since I am not subscribed to the -gtk-gnome list)

(Please note that I've alredy asked this question on -user, but nobody
seemed to know the answer)

Hi

I've installed gnome2 from unstable and am running mozilla 1.0 from
stable. To go straight, the mozilla ui (i.e. menu, bookmark bar, etc.)
fonts are just ways too big! With gnome1.4 this hasn't been a problem
since mozilla 1.0 seemed to listen to the "application font" settings
within gnome-control-center, but with gnome2, no chance.
Why do you keep Mozilla 1.0?

AFAIK 1.0 is the so called stable branch, and only 1.4 is going to be the new stable branch.

Anyway, it has to do with the fact that Mozilla 1.0 does not use XFt,
which 1.2+ use.
To use it, install the package mozilla-xft.

Cool!! But I finally found an answer to only alter the font sizes without going for aa fonts:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/ msg00519.html

Well, my question has basically already been answered in that post, but unfortunately I used the wrong terms with the archive search engine and so did not find it. What I did was:

In ~/.mozilla/default/*/chrome/userChrome.css, I put

* {
  font-size: 8pt !important;
}

Thats all (I also altered the entry concerning the pop-up menus, but it basically is all alredy in the example file). But: what's not in the example file: you definitely NEED the "*" before the "{", otherwise it WON'T work!!

What do I have to do in order to get some sensible font sizes for
mozilla? (And, yes, I already read
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html aswell as
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html, but hey, we aren't doing no
profiles in debian! I've changed user.css and userChrome.css
accordingly, but whereever I put those files, they did not have any
impact on mozilla at all.)
Maybe it has something to do with the fonts in GTK+ 1.x? If so, the
current control-panel does not allow you to change them.

Hmm, don't know if mozilla 1.0 would listen to gtk1.2-gnome2 (don't remember the correct file name) or something.

I hope you have any inputs to help me, I would really appreciate it!

--
Thanks alot, and all the best,
Andi

<signature.asc>

--
Thanks again for your answer!! Best wishes,
Andi