Re: bash: how to split a $var ?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:25:37AM +0100, David selby wrote:
> In bash how can I split a string eg ...
>
> var1=0624todaysfile
>
> I want var2 to equal the first 4 digits, ie 0624
> My first instinct was cut but this is for files only, head & tail are of
> no use ...
zsh % echo $A | cut -c 5-14
todaysfile
03-06-23 12:58:03 js@bywoner /tmp
zsh % echo $A | cut -c 1-4
0624

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which
      are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but
      after the Spirit."              Romans 8:1