Re: USB and PCMCIA card readers

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 13:45, Piers Kittel wrote:
>  Hello all
>
> I have 2 card readers - an Sandisk PCMCIA compactflash card reader, and
> an Lexar USB Smartmedia card reader, and well, the question is how to
> get those to work on my linux laptop?

I don't know about the PCMCIA reader.

For the USB reader, if you are using module support, you need:
usbcore
usb-storage
sd-mod
scsi-mod
and the usb chipset driver for your system - mine uses usb-uhci.

If you modconf the usb-storage driver, you'll pull in the rest
automagically.

The memory devices are treated as scsi devices, and you mount them with:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /<whatever_mountpoint_you_create>

My FujiFinepix camera (SmartMedia) directly mounts this way, and my
6-in-1 card reader as well.  Sony Memory Sticks are formatted with a
broken filesystem, so the system refuses to mount them, and Sony's
Windows driver is written to ignore this (thanks for the proprietary
lock-up, Sony).

The memory cards I've used so far are formatted with the FAT or VFAT
system.

I don't know if your kernel has these options compiled in, or compiled
as options, or not compiled at all.  But you can find out.

Cheers,
Bret
bwaldow at alum.mit.edu