Re: Advice on tuning bogofilter

* Anthony Campbell (ac@acampbell.org.uk) wrote:
> Currently bogofilter is classifying all my mail as spam.
>
> I've read the tuning faq but am fairly confused by the large number of
> parameters you can tune. Can anyone suggest what is the simplest thing
> to try first please?

since you're using mutt:

macro index B "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n" "non-spam"
macro pager B "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n" "non-spam"

macro index S "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -s\n" "spam"
macro pager S "<pipe-entry>bogofilter -s\n" "spam"

those lines in your .muttrc let you control things nicely.
(choose different keys if those are already used, of course. :D)

if everything is getting badly classified, it might be worth deleting
the files in ~/.bogofilter/, and starting again.

you don't say how bogofilter is getting the email, i have the following
in ~/.procmailrc (basically ripped from the bogofilter manpage):

# filter mail through bogofilter, tagging it as spam and

:0fw
| bogofilter -e -p

# if bogofilter failed, return the mail to the queue, the MTA will
# retry to deliver it later
# 75 is the value for EX_TEMPFAIL in /usr/include/sysexits.h

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

# file the mail to SPAM if it's spam.

:0:
SPAM

note that in the manpage, we are told to use the -u option to
bogofilter, i changed this mainly because it was slowing things down a
lot... my current system works really well, with very few false
negatives, and ZERO positives so far.

hope this helps,

iain

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.

"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
not shared." -St. Augustine