Re: Opinions on Lindows Mobile PC

On Monday 26 May 2003 19:54, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> I have been looking at purchasing a new computer for a few months
> now. I have gone back and forth between a desktop or notebook quite a
> bit, and I have finally decided that I want to get a notebook.  Of
> course, the real challenge is finding an affordable one with Linux
> preinstalled.  After this slashdot story about HP selling selling
> Linux laptops in Thailand
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/23/1857246&mode=thread&tid=1
>06&tid=137&tid=185 came out, I called HP to find out when they would
> be offered in the US. Of course, they had no clue what I was talking
> about.

It won't happen in the US. The government of Philipin (And yes it is
Philipin not Thailan) is subsdizing this laptop, to make it a "people's
laptop". They are also taking care of after sales support, not HP. So I
would say that don't hold your breath for a $450 laptop with GNU/Linux
preinstalled on it, in the US.

> The point of this whole diatribe is that I have decided that I will
> probably get the Lindows (yuck!) Mobile PC (available from idot.com).
>  If I purchase it I will erase Lindows and install Debian Sid on it.
> I am asking here to see what everyone thinks of the price/value on
> this thing and overall impressions.  I am not too concerned with
> hardware comaptibility since IIRC Lindows is based on Debian
> unstable.

This is true to some degree, but IANAL but maybe Lindows is using some
proprietary drivers that might not be available elseweher. Take that
into consideration.

> My comments are in square braces []
>
>  FEATURES
 ? 	VIA C3 933MHz Processor [don't know anything about VIA, does
> anyone?]

They pretended to be a serious competetor (In mid 90s) , in the end AMD
burned them, and now they are more or less competing with Transmeta
rather than with AMD/Intel. (Focusing on energy and heat and use in
embeded devices, rather than on speed).

> ? 	2.5" 20.0GB Hard Disk Drive, 9.5mm, 4200 RPM

This will be a bottleneck. I warn you.

> ? 	Removable Li-Ion Battery

What about the preformance of this one ?

> With the upgrades I have chosen (extra 512MB RAM for a total of 768MB
> and the external 24x/12x/36x CD-RW drive) the price w/o shipping adds
> up to US$ 1207.  Is this a good deal?  Are there better ones out
> there?

I don't call it a bargain. I actually think that it is kinda expensive.
You should keep in mind that Lindows is not the only company selling
Linux laptops. They are other ones as well, take a look at :

http://eracks.com/products/Laptops/config?sku=LAPDOG
http://www.qlilinuxpc.com/products/laptops/index.html
http://www.emperorlinux.com/
http://www.aslab.com/products/laptops/laptops.html
http://linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

Some of them sound impressive to me.

And besides, you may know that some of the laptops from those big
companies, are fully linux-compatible.

Cheers

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri