Re: changes to /etc/group ?

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 17:43, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 12:20:26AM +0100, Dave Selby wrote:
> > When I change /etc/group is there a way of updating the system so the
> > changes are acknowledged without re-booting?
>
> /etc/group is checked when the user logs in.  To gain access to
> newly-added groups, just log out and back in.  No need to reboot.

Yeah, but what a pain when you've got a bunch of different programs
running in windows, multiple URLs loaded, etc, etc.

There should be a way to dynamically refresh the "group cache".

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a  |
| hotel with a bunch of journalists in it."                 |
|     Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)          |