Odd problem compiling new kernel

I am compiling a new kernel for my system(I hosed my last system just after I
got it working the way I wanted...to much damn tweaking :-)   )

anyway. I am just compiling a new 2.4.20 kernel for my unstable system and I
have always had the same settings, I know the settings I have are correct (I
save a copy of the kernel config in my home partition)

so anyhow, I get this:

net/network.o(.text+0xddc7): In function `rtnetlink_rcv':
: undefined reference to `rtnetlink_rcv_skb'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

I looked up on google that rtnetlink is used for routing so I tried solving
the problem by adding in all the routing stuff to see if it goes away...it
does not.

this is the first time Ihave compiled a kernel under unstable, the other times
it has been under a stable , testing or testing with kde3 from unstable.
could there be a problem in the kernel compiler shiped in unstable?

thanks,

Jeremy