Re: Anyone using the CAD packages?

Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> writes:

> Well, I always thought that AutoCAD was the equivalent of Windows in the
> CAD world. And I thought that for more professinal stuff ( i.e
> designing BMW cars) businesses use more sophisticated products (which
> again I always thought) run on Unix workstations.

Yes, basically.  Although the big packages also run on NT.  (I used
to work for Unigraphics, which is one of the high-end packages.)

> It seems I was wrong though. AutoCAD is the only CAD product which I
> have ever heard it's name (OK, aside from QCAD).

High-end CAD is not a very common occupation.  Many more people use
AutoCAD than have ever used UG, CATIA or Pro/E.  The high-end licenses
cost about the same as a small car per seat, so it's natural many,
many more people talk about AutoCAD.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Looking for a developer in St. Louis? http://web.springies.com/~ats/