Re: Maximum file size

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:36:23PM +0100, Andrew Ingram wrote:
> I was running a video capture program yesterday on my Debian box. I was
> capturing to a FAT32 partition and after a while, I came across the 2GB
> single file limit that FAT32 has. I was using the windows partition
> since it had the most amount of free space, but free space is no good if
> it can't handle the file sizes!
>
> What I was wondering was, what are the maximum file sizes of ext2, ext3
> and Reiser. Are any of these formats particularly good for video capture
> (i.e. don't get really fragmented by having ~4GB files added and removed
> all the time). I'm thinking of building a PVR type machine and all this
> information would be very useful to me.

ext2/3 : 16TB
reiserFS : 1EB (exabyte)
JFS : 16TB on 32 bit, 4PB (petabyte) on 64 bit
XFS : 8TB

I guess none of these will give problems for an average user ;-)
I don't know which one is best for large files. Also note that the
application must be compiled with large file support for this to work. I
guess most video tools will be OK.

Frank