Re: grub configuration question

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:46:14AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > Here's one of the configurations I tried:
> > >   title debian 2.4.18-686
> > > 	root (hd0,0)
> > > 	kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/sdb1
> > > 	initrd /initrd.img-2.4.18-686
> > > [snip]
> >
> > It sounds should be like below if your debian /boot is within the first
> > primary partition on your second hard drive.
> >
> >  	title debian 2.4.18-686
> >  	root (hd1,0)
> >  	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686 root=/dev/sdb1
> >  	initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
> >
> > You can simply verify the existence of related files.
>
> [snip]
> My second hard disk does have a /boot directory at (h1,0), but there's
> no grub installed in it.
>
> My understanding was that the "root" command here is used to specify
> _grub's_ root device and partition. My grub boot loader is still found
> on my Redhat disk (hd0,0), and has not yet been installed in debian's
> /boot directory (hd1,0).

IMHO, "root" just specifies the absolute path where to find the kernel
and initrd. You can remove this command if you already use absolute path for
kernel and initrd. It's not necessary and no way to specify in the grub
config file where the grub (stage files) are installed. Because when grub

The upper level boot loader (in your case, BIOS) should know where the grub
(stage files) are installed.

Good luck,

Qian