Re: pls recommend cms

I have just spent the last 5 months evaluating a number of different open source cms's for a new website for NGO I have been doing stuff for. It came down to a choice between Midgard and Plone and we finally settled on Midgard because we had people with php skills and no one with any python skills (although I have just begun to learn python and it seems great). Midgard is a CMS framework with a number of different interfaces, one of them, Aegir, has the best WYSIWYG editor that we saw on any of the CMSs we looked at. Plone rocks as well though and it is just loaded with features and comes ready to go out of the box unlike midgard. Both of these are more suited to content driven websites rather the being community focussed portals like something like Drupal or Postnuke. The site we have is currently about 2500 pages and is for the Wilderness Society in Australia so main focuess is updating people on Campaigns and environmental issues that are happening in Australia, letting people make donations, and publishing content related to environmental issues. Both Plone and Midgard have debian packages available, Plone from unstable and you can get the midgard debs from their site.

The key features we were looking for we that we could create the content types that we needed, that it had a workflow approval process, that it had an easy to use interface for publishing content so the campaigners would actually use it to put out media realeases and edit their content rather than just emailing them to us as a word document, that it had automatic publication and retraction so content could be set to be automatically removed from the site and that it was something we could manage. I was very impressed by Drupal as it was easy to set up and use and seemed to have a great design to it and it had the busiest development mailing list of any of the CMSs that we looked. It was however more of community focussed CMS having features like polls etc but not automatic retraction or a WYSIWYG editor for content submission. The latter has recently changed though with someone hacking the htmlarea WYSIWYG tool into drupal and I think that it will be released as a module at some stage. It had this great feature called colloborative books which is ideal for developing documentation and I actually used this tool to document the evaluation project. You can check it out at www.sydney.wilderness.org.au/docs . The site lists all the CMSs that we looked at and accounts of the installation of all the CMSs. It also contains evaluation results of some of the CMSs against the different criteria and I will try and get some more of them up there very soon.

One of the key things we found in looking at the CMS is that they all do things differently and it is really important to have a good idea of exactly what is the purpose and future purpose of your website and look at the CMS which seems to offer the tools that are most suited to accomplishing this. Also get a feel of what the aims of the project are as even though they mightn't have a particular feature yet it might be in CVS or on the developers to do list. The speed that some of these projects are developing at is pretty phenomenal.

Check out the website for more info, also you should have a look at these sites if you haven't already.

www.cmsinfo.org
A great site for seeing just how many opensource cms's are out there and tracking there development.

www.opensourcecms.com
This is a great site as it lets you actually try out a whole heap of php based cms's and blogs and other webapplications such as phprojekt

www.cmsreview.com
A new site that has just been up the last few months I think. Has some good information for a whole lot of CMSs both proprietry and Open Source in a format that lets you easily compare them. Not a huge amount of info yet but hopefully it will grow.