Re: is there a i586 distro?

[Please don't top quote!  It makes your message harder to read, especially in
long threads.]

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 08:31:02PM -0500, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> A couple searches didnt yeild very much.

Well, it's in there, even if I got the Subject: wrong.  I doesn't
contain anything really new, though, just the usual push and pull about
source packages and Stable getting behind the times.

> There are two items encouraging me to look at gentoo
> 	1. rumored performance increases from native compiles

Well, perhaps, but no one has actually put forward evidence that the
gains are very large.

> 	2. more current versions of apps in packages
> 	* a couple friends have run gentoo, rh, debian, mandrake
> 		and indicate that gentoo is very stable

Cool.

> 	* current packages -

Um, ok.  Right here I have access to things like KDE3.1.1, GNOME2.2,
Postgresql 7.3, XFree86 4.3, etc, etc, etc for the cost of download
time.  What exactly is missing?

> 	no flame wars -

Er, ok.  And which flame wars have bothered you lately?

> 	exim4 needs to be
> 		downloaded/built for debian

Ok.  Just as it does for gentoo, oddly enough :)  It is available in the
'experimental' distribution, and has been for many months.  As well as
the multitude of packages other people have produced and given away.

> 		and its the main
> 		smtp package

Kinda.  Exim4 is a rather large shift from Exim3.  Even the config files
are not compatible.  Give how different it is, why would it replace
exim3, instead of supplement it?  I have a perfectly working mail system
here, and I have no urge at all to have to go and learn a new config
file syntax for absolutely no gain.

That said, it could certainly go in as 'exim4' or something, but why
should it be the default MTA for Debian?  Exim was chosen originally
(AFAIK) because it was simple and secure.  Is exim4 any simpler or more
secure?

> Main item pushing away from gentoo:
> 	1. long build times on my lowend firewall

What gain is there to using gentoo on a firewall?  Anyone with any sense
has already built their own kernel, and that's 90% of the code being
executed anyway.

> 	2. need for a compiler on everybox includeing firewall

That seems like a pretty fucking big downside.  What happens if/when
another hole is found in OpenSSH?  You push the patch to every single
machine on your network and let it churn through and compile it?  What
about sendmail?  It had a few bugs within a week last week, do you
rebuild your MTA every couple of days?

> 		* rumor has it, gentoo can build a binary
> 			package for distribution
> 			nice feature for for a corporate env

And once you do this, what gain at all do you have over Debian?  You
lose the security infrastructure, and the thousands of people working on
the Debian project, but what do you gain?

> thoughts?

Sorry to sound so pissed-off, but I've been listening to far too many
poorly-thought-out-pro-Gentoo rants this week :-)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?