Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 03:46, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> >The Debian user list is probably the most active list on the internet.
> >It's loaded with problems that users experience. Could this be because
> >of
> >difficulties caused by improper installation?   Could something be
> >lacking
> >in the installation instructions?
>
> I think that if you take look around, you will find that Windows has just
> as many problems.  I will agree that the install is easier (generally), but
> not always.  I.e., the recommendation I always see given to people
> upgrading to WinXP is to backup data, format drive, and do a fresh install.

My experience, Debian Woody on fairly new equipment is only moderately
difficult compared to say Mandrake. That latter is easier if anything than
Windows 98 much less XP. OTOH Woody is giving me very hard times on an old P2
with S3Trio video.

But what about updates. apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade is just a dream.

XP leaves a lot of peripheral hardware behind as it has embraced a new
standard that must be met by drivers. The peripheral makers have not been
willing to rewrite the drivers in all cases.

> If you told someone trying to upgrade to sid (or the latest version of
> their favorite Linux distro), they would look at you like you were stupid.
> If your recommendation was the best path to take, they would find a new OS.
> Yet, millions of people have happily backed up their data to CD or another
> drive and formated their machines for the "privilege" of installing WinXP.

I think there are double standards here, even among the Linux afficianados,
you have people bleating that Linux is not for everybody. But when you think
of it installing Windows is not for everyone either. Most folk using Windows
had it installed for them, whether that happened at work or on the box they
have at home. And the domestic Windows users still have to pay for a
reinstall at regular intervals because Windows, and this includes XP, still
shits in its own nest over time ie corrupts it's own files.

> This is not a procedure I would consider asking any novice to undertake,
> yet it is done daily.  A good look around the various mailing lists and
> newsgroups will show you how many people are experiencing problems with
> this supposedly install of windows.

To say nothing of the problems of paying for this pretend os. And yes I know
that it has at least reached the beginnings of stability in the corporate
version at least, but the cost - insane.

> Just my thoughts.
>
> -Roberto Sanchez

Mine too
Bob