Re: USB camera mount

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 05:44:36PM +0100, Tim wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> >I have a Sony with a memory stick which stores the images in jpeg
> >format.  I had no trouble in configuring a 2.4.18 kernel to support usb
> >mass storage and adding /dev/sdb1 /sony vfat ro,users,noauto 0 0 to my
> >fstab.  I already had append="hdd=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf under
> >image=/boot/bzImage.  cdrecord --scanbus reported the camera was present
> >so after mkdir /sony I mounted /sony and downloaded all the .jpg files to
> >a hard drive with no difficulty.  Perhaps this this helps?
> >
> >Tom George
>
> I added hdd=ide-scsi to the boot parameters, but unfortunately I can't
> mount the device yet.  This camera is also saving as jpeg.
>
> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera
>
> mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device

I may have mislead you on a couple of points.  First, my system has a
real SCSI disk which is sda1 so my camera had to be sdb1.  Second,
someone told me and I assume it is correct that /mnt is meant to be used
as an auxilliary mount point for temporary mounts.  For example, my
cdrom is normally mounted at /cdrom but if I need to execute a program
from a cd, I would mount it at /mnt with exec.  I believe the following
will work for you:

1. Add /dev/sda1 /camera vfat ro,users,noauto 0 0 to /etc/fstab

2. md /camera

3. mount /camera

4. ls /camera to begin the search for the jpeg files.  Mine were in a
sub-directory.

Good luck,

Tom