Re: resizing root partition

-- Frank Gevaerts <frank@gevaerts.be> wrote
(on Friday, 04 April 2003, 07:31 PM +0200):
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:13:20AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > When I originally created my disk partitions, I figured 3GB would be
> > plenty for my root partition, and gave the rest of my 30GB disk over to
> > my /home partition. However, my root now shows 90% usage, and I'd like
> > to expand it -- or move my /usr area off onto another partition. Is this
> > possible, and if so, can somebody point me to a howto?
>
> The easiest way is probably to put /usr somewhere else. A possible way
> is:
>
> make a new partition and filesystem for /usr

How do I do this on an already partitioned disk? parted?

> make a directory /mnt/newusr
> mount the new partition at /mnt/newusr
> cd /
> find usr|cpio -pmd /mnt/newusr

What does this do? I've used find before, but I'm not familiar with the
'-pmd' options; man doesn't elaborate on them, either.

> umount /mnt/newusr
> init 1 (go to single-user)
> cd /
> mv usr usr.old
> mkdir usr
> mount the new partition at /usr
> change /etc/fstab
> (optional) reboot and check that everything works (after changing
>   partition tables, it is always a good idea to reboot to see if the
>   system comes up correctly. If you reboot 3 months later and it doesn't
>   work, you won't remember why)
> rm -rf /usr.old

That make sense, and it's the route I'd like to go (I don't see much
need to expand the root partition so much as to allow a larger /usr
area).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net