Sparc Ultra1 Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18 builtin lan card problem...

I have just loaded Debian 3.0(kernel 2.4.18) onto a Sun Ultra1 and the
built-in lan i/f doesn't seem to want to come up.  I keep getting the following
messages repeating on the console:

eth0: Link down. Cable problem?

eth0: Auto-Negotiation unsuccessful, trying force link mode

I've played around w/ ethtool trying to force certain settings to see what would
happen, but that doesn't seem to be making any difference.  I saw some
similar issues w/ other folks, but didn't see an actual solution.  Any ideas/thoughts
on what's going on?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

gfm@performanceit.com