Re: Use a Firewall, Go to Jail?

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:34:21PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Worse yet, Network Address Translation (NAT), a technology widely
> > used for enterprise security, operates by translating the 'from' and
> > 'to' fields of Internet packets, thereby concealing the source or
> > destination of each packet, and hence violating these bills.
>
> I think that's a far more liberal interpretation of the law than will
> be applied, since as far as the ISP is concerned, only one box is
> connected.  I don't think NAT exactly advertises it's existence...

Careful there. A bunch of oh so clever scientists figured out how to
spot multiple boxes behind a NAT router, by means of looking at the IP
"id" header field.

|                I maintain a Zero-Tolerance policy for                |
|                  Zero-Tolerance policy maintainers.                  |
| Nicolas Kratz <nick@ikarus.dyndns.org> <n_kratz@cs.uni-frankfurt.de> |