gnome 2.2 post-install: icon theme doesn't load, theme-manager segfaults

Hi.  Earlier today, I installed gnome 2.2 out of unstable.  I'm basically
running sarge, with gnome 2.2 + whatever dependencies are necessary out of
unstable.  I ran into some difficulties during the install that required
manual intervention with dpkg, but I think that had to do with the fact that
I was upgrading out of the gnome2 installation that came with Libranet 2.7.
At any rate, my gnome2 installation should be entirely out of unstable at
this point.

I've run into some minor glitches, but there are two of especial note.  The
first is that upon startup, the default icon theme doesn't appear to load.
Instead, in nautilus windows and on the desktop, the same icon (a sheet of
paper) is used for *everything* -- files of any type, directories, whatever.

When this occurred, I decided to try and fix it manually by setting the
icon theme through gnome-theme-manager . . .which brings up the second
problem.  However I try to start it, gnome-theme-manager immediately segfaults.
I have an strace if anyone's interested (it's long, so not posting it here).

In the latter case, it seems like a bug; but before filing a bug report
against gnome-control-center (the package containing gnome-theme-manager),
I wanted to check and see if anyone had suggestions on things I might have
overlooked beforehand.

In the former case, I'm very willing to believe there's just something I
need to tweak in some configuration file somewhere to get nautilus to
utilize its default theme properly.  However, I've poked around what
nautilus docs there are, and I'm not finidng anything.  Can anyone point
me in the right direction?

Thanks very much for your help,

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)