Re: CUPS Update failed

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:09:56 -0800
debian_newbie <jerryvb@ispwest.com> wrote:

> > Read man dpkg, especially the section about --force. Focus on
> > "overwrite".
> >
> > This sounds like a bug in the packaging.
>
> "IF" there is a bug in the packaging, is it still safe to force the
> install?

As a general rule, it isn't safe to force things. That's why it must be
specified as an argument.

In THIS case, it's safe, and we can be pretty certain of that:
 1. Apt's error message tells you the problem is that the package failed
to install because one of its files would overwrite a file already on
the system. This is good, safe default behavior, because apt doesn't
know whether the packages work and play well together.
 2. We, on the other hand, can be sure it's OK to overwrite THIS file,
because it's part of the same version of CUPS. If one file were from
CUPS and the other from (for example) gnome-print we wouldn't be able to
say whether the files would conflict or not.

If you're a new Debianese these things can be confusing. (Heck, if
you're an old Debianese they can be confusing!)

I recommend installing aptitude. Use it to browse the "Not installed
packages" ---> "doc" section. Install everything about Debian, apt, and
dpkg that you have room for, especially the Debian Reference, newbiedoc,
and dwww.

Then the fun begins. We need to find a way to transmit that knowledge to
our brains. Unfortunately, there's only one way.

Say it with me, "RTFM". <big g>

Good luck.

Kevin