Installed iptraf ... lost XWindows

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me.

I'm running a Debian (Potato) box as my home server.

Recently I did an

apt-get install iptraf

so I could monitor my LAN traffic.

It told me it was going to remove a bunch of packages (mostly gnome and
xwindows stuff) but it also appeared to be installing  what I presumed were
newer versions of the XWindows packages.

However, now that the installation is complete, XWindows appears to have
vanished. Neither startx or xf86config do anything. And yet when I tyoe
dpkg -l or dselect, the Xserver stuff appears to be installed.

I must admit that I'm a bit rusty when it comes to messing around on the
Debian box, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Stephen