Re: NFS hangs??

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Alvin Oga wrote:
> > > /usr/local/music        192.168.0.0/24(ro,sync)
> > (ro,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192)  might be better
>
> I recommend against 'soft'.  Running 'soft' allows errors to cause
> data corruption.  Been there, done that, won't do it again.  The man
> page documents this when it says "Usually it just causes lots of
> trouble."  :-)  I think 'intr' is okay though.

i always use soft ... because ... if the silly server dies for whatever
reason ... i do NOT want to wait for it to come back ( hard mounts )
before i can continue dong work ...

- if data is lost, its lost .... due to "soft" or other faults
	( never had a lost data or corruption due to soft )

	- avoid most of those problems by teaching people NEVER hit
	reset on the servers that other people uses

- intr is for "ctrl-C" out of the hung nfs process  so you can get
  back your xterm ..

- people are "reset and power switch happy" which makes hard mounts
  even worst that you all have to wait for the other server to come
  back online and is NOT always back at the right ports  so you're stuck
  forever waiting for a server that is up but you cant talk to it
	- so you have to reboot too ... in addition to the server that
	died adn was rebooted anew ...

	- with soft mounts ... server never needs to be rebooted in theory

- lots of ways to get corruption ....  pick the one you suffer least
  from ...
  ( usually means, people do not reset servers nor clients in my book )

- hard mounts or soft mounts... you choose .. and know why and how it
  affects your network policy when nfs hangs

- had more data corruptions from ext2/ext3 ... than from nfs "soft" errors

and nope... my uptimes on most of the servers are in excess of 1-2 years
or more ..

c ya
alvin