Re: file server recommendations?

* ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> [20030314 23:09 PST]:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I'm interested in making a few files available to friends of
> mine, and in having an upload directory for them to give me stuff, too.
> I'm wondering what's the best tool for this job.
>
> * I'll only be talking about a very few users. (like 10 to 20 total)
> * I don't have any particular interest in allowing anonymous access.
> * I'd like something that's reasonably secure (especially against
> sniffing and such external attacks; the users are reasonably trusted).
> * It would be nice not to have to create a local user for each remote
> user...
> * Ease of setup would be a major bonus.
>
> The first thing that comes to mind is FTP, but I'm not sure it's the
> right tool for the job. I've heard a lot of horror stories about its
> (in)security...

Go with DAV.  Use CRAM-MD5 if you want to secure only passwords, or
https if you want all file transfers secure.  Your users can each have
their own login credentials, and can each have their own directories as
well as access to shared directories.

MacOS and Windows can mount DAV space as "web folders" or similar, so
they can use familiar methods (drag 'n drop) for transfering.

> I do remember using some sort of "ssh file transfer" client somewhere...
> sometime... back in my Windoze days...  This has a promising ring to it.
> Any ideas on whether that's what I'm looking for, and if so, is
> there a server for this in woody?

There's a rather good SCP client for windows called WINSCP2.  I'd still
say your best bet is DAV, though.

good times,
Vineet
--