Re: Matrox G550 and Dual Head

Hi Bill,

I have a G550 and dual head works just fine with 4.2.x "out of the box".
I've attached my config file for reference.

I tried installing the matrox software the other week and decided to remove
it the next day.  I didn't see any difference in Xinerama mode (still no
DRI on the second head).  I believe "merged" mode must be a hold over from
pre-Xinerama days.   Turning it on seemed to break window positioning in
Xinerama-aware apps.  It behaved as if the X-server saw one large pseudo-
monitor that the G550 split across the heads in hardware.   Merged mode
also broke openGL apps for me... maybe a bad interaction with my kernel
(2.4.21pre4ac7).

Anyone know what the advantage(s) of merged mode are supposed to be?

FWIW, I use xfce as my window manager.  It is fast, gnome-aware, and
handles multiple screens of different sizes better than sawfish and
kwm/kde.

-- Brad

--
Brad Sawatzky <bds9e@virginia.edu>
University of Virginia Physics Department
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"