Re: Setting Static IP Address

On Thursday 13 March 2003 23:50, Harley D. Eades III wrote:
> CM Miller wrote:
> >Very new to Debian and installed Woody last weekend.
> >FOr some reason, it didn't recognize by pci 3com nics,
> >but after a little help on this list I got them.
> >
> >Now, how do I set a static ip address?

> Use the file /etc/network/interfaces there you can insert you IP +
> default gateway.

I asked the same question a couple of day ago, and someone gave me his
/etc/network/interfaces file. with that, I easily did the job. so , if man
interfaces and info interfaces are cryptic to you, then you might want to
take a look at my /etc/network/interfaces

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# My static IP address
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.20.30.40
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.20.30.1

notice that gateway is optional. you may also specify other parameters like
Bcast.

Cheers
--
/* Those who do not understand Unix