Re: Onboard rtl8139 works in 2.2 kernel but not in 2.4 kernel, please help

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200303/msg02001.html

> Over the last 4-5 months of monitoring this list, I have seen a
> "handfull" of complaints like this involving various NICs.  IIRC, most
> of them have involved the RTL 8139 chipset but I could be wrong on this.

I will do a search.

> There have been several "solutions" posted... you might want to search
> the past few months of Debian-User on the topic "APIC".  I can't find a
> specific one right now, so here is what I recall off the top of my head:
>
> 1.  Try turning APIC "off" in the BIOS if you can.  It seems that if the
> BIOS pre-configures it, then the kernel can become "confused", and has
> been reported to lock the system at boot-time.
>
> 2.  Try passing the command "append=noapic" to the kernel via LILO (edit
> /etc/lilo.conf and add this line).
>
> 3.  Recompile your kernel and turn off APIC support.

As noted in another email, my server is down until I get non-junk RAM.  Thanks
for the hint though, I will definitely try the APIC hint and see what I can
dredge up from the archives.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                     http://wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                                    Debian GNU/Linux