Re: gnome2.2 backport mirror has changed

 --- James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com>
wrote: > The mirrors listed at DebianPlanet.org and

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
> gnome2.2/
>
> deb-src

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody
> gnome2.2/
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jamie Strandboge
>

> --

Has anyone had any problems using this backport?

I was hoping to upgrade to this from the (unoffical)
gnome 2.0 backport; am currently using stable with a
few bits and pieces from testing and a few unoffical
backports.

I already appear to have xfree86 4.2.1 from testing or
one of the other unoffical backports so didn't need to
pull in the advertised backport; I'm guessing this is
*probably* where the problem's coming from...

Added the new lines and ran
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-core gdm gtk2-engines*

The gtk2-engines complained with

Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.2.1) but 2.0.9-1 is to be
installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.2.1) but 1.0.5-3 is to be
installed

BUT, the new libgtk2.0-0 and libpango1.0-0 are
definately there... so adding them, and
libgtk2.0-common and libxft2 in which they in turn
depend to the apt-get install line I get the unmet
dependency

libxft2: Depends: xlibs (>= 4.2.0) but 4.1.0-16 is to
be installed

The relavent xlibs is not on the ftp site but there's
one in testing, so finally adding '-t testing xlibs'
to my apt-get install line ought to do the trick.

It seems to want to do an *awful lot* in the
process...

  bonobo-activation fontconfig gconf2 gnome-libs-data
gtk2-engines-cleanice gtk2-engines-crux
gtk2-engines-gorilla
  gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue
gtk2-engines-magicchicken gtk2-engines-metal
gtk2-engines-mist gtk2-engines-pixbuf
gtk2-engines-redmond95
  gtk2-engines-spherecrystal gtk2-engines-thinice
libatk1.0-0 libbonobo-activation4 libbonobo2-0
libbonoboui2-0 libdb3 libfontconfig1
  libfreetype6 libgail-common libgail17 libgconf11
libgconf2-4 libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2 libgdk-pixbuf2
libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-data
  libglib2.0-dbg libglib2.0-dev libgnome-desktop-2
libgnome2-0 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomeui-0
libgnomeui32 libgnomevfs2-0
  libgnomevfs2-common libgtk2.0-0png3 liblinc1
libmetacity0 liborbit2 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
libwnck4 libxml2 libxslt1 nethack-common
  xbase-clients xfree86-common
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ark gdm2 gnome gnome-applets gnome-control-center
gnome-desktop-data gnome-lokkit gnome-panel
gnome-panel-data kab karm kate kcalc
  kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcron kde kdebase
kdebase-audiolibs kdebase-libs kdelibs3 kdelibs3-bin
kdepasswd kdepim-libs kdf kdict kdm
  kedit kfind kformula kfract kghostview khexedit
kiconedit kit kivio kjots kmail knewsticker knode
knotes koffice koffice-libs konqueror
  konsole kontour korganizer korn koshell kpackage
kpaint kpm kpresenter kruler kscreensaver ksirc
ksnapshot kspread ksysv ktimer kugar
  kuser kview kword libgtk-common libkdenetwork1
libkmid libkonq3 libpango-common sawfish-gnome
secpolicy system-tray-applet
  fontconfig gdm gnome-core gtk2-engines-cleanice
gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-gorilla
gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue
  gtk2-engines-magicchicken gtk2-engines-metal
gtk2-engines-mist gtk2-engines-pixbuf
gtk2-engines-redmond95 gtk2-engines-spherecrystal
  gtk2-engines-thinice libfontconfig1
libgnome-desktop-2 libgtk2.0-0png3 librsvg2-common
libxft2
40 packages upgraded, 19 newly installed, 73 to remove
and 366  not upgraded.
Need to get 17.6MB of archives. After unpacking 119MB
will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

That'll take a long time over a 56K modem (unmetered
access... phew!) and I'm quite happy with removing all
KDE... but is it actually going to work?!

Why do I need xlibs from testing when it hasn't been
mentioned in any dicussion of this backport (I think)
and might it be something to do with having the
*wrong* version of xfree86 4.2.1?

Thanks.

Simon.

=====