Re: drive errors!

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 05:48, Tom Allison wrote:
> ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:29:05 -0500
> > Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:
> >

> >>I've been runnign this PC for about a year now.
> >>I recently upgraded from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20.
> >>And this is the thanks I get....
> >>Any suggestions?  It seems to work.
> >>--------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>Mar 12 12:14:21 gandolf kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> >>DriveStatusError BadCRC }Mar 12 12:14:21 gandolf kernel: hda: dma_intr:
> >>status=0x51 { DriveReady
> >>SeekCompleteError }
> >

> > Do make menuconfig, and go to ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support | IDE, ATA, and ATAPI Block devices, and set "Use multi-mode by default". See the help text for that option.
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> Some additional information about the problem.
>
> The kernel is a stock Debian kernel.  So was the 2.4.18 kernel.
>
> Under 2.4.18, I do not get these errors.
>
> If I revert back to the 2.4.18 kernel, the errors go away.
>
> Therefore I am not certain that this drive is on the virge of death,
> rather I think that the kernel is just buggered.
>
> --
> Boling's postulate:
> 	If you're feeling good, don't worry.  You'll get over it.

Okay - what are the specs of the drive - make, capacity? This is
*possibly* the kernel not handling it well, but two considerations:

1) Do you really want to be stuck with a system without a hard drive?

2) If the hard drive can be kept working, wouldn't you be able to find
use for the extra storage of both it and another drive?

The only thing that comes to mind as an alternative now is to try
rolling your own 2.4.20 kernel, and seeing if you still get the errors -
if there are other stock 2.4.20 kernels available to try out, that work
for your configuration, I'd also see if any of them spew these errors.
In other words, is it a problem in the kernel, or is 2.4.20 just the
first kernel smart enough to catch that this is a bum drive?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org