Re: Debian Boot Process

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 13:01, Kris wrote:
> Ok I am trying to do some fancy stuff and need to know how the debian 2.4.18
> boot process works.  Ok ouch I will compare.  If for example I wanted to
> know the step by step process of an msdos system I would say something like
>
> It loads the kernel in msdos.sys and io.sys
> then it loads the command.com command interpriter.
> then it runs the devices installed in c:\config.sys
> then it runs all the commands in the autoexec.bat
> then either returns a prompt or launches windows.
>
> Well I need this in a debian format.  So first lilo directs to which kernel
> then what where and how is it loaded next.  Does it load the modueles before
> init or after.  Where does init load from.

Quick clarification - command.com comes after config.sys in the boot
process, and you can specify alternate command processors to run instead
of command.com. MKS Toolkit did just that with their "take over the
entire system" option - while all the DOS stuff was still on the hard
drive and available for those programs that required it, the user dealt
with either login or ksh as the default interface. I used that setup for
a couple of years with Windows 1.0 and 2.0 some 15 years ago.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org