Re: wine and IE

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:13:53AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> But that's not even the point. How many people upgrade their browsers
> regularly? Do you remember how hard it is to do when you're on a dial-up
> line (due to the download sizes)?

Yup.  The trick I used to use, and the one preferred by my family (I
was living with my folks last time I used dailup regularly) was to do
apt-get -y update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade right as dinner is
served.  I get new software, and no telemarketers can interrupt the
meal.

> And how many people have their browser dictated by corporate policy?

How many people are allowed to use the browser for non-business
reasons?

> But I also realize that standards or not, the world is a diverse place,
> with diverse software, old and new, and if I want people to see a site,
> I have to accomodate them.

You'd go a lot farther in accomodating them if you stuck to the
standard, encouraged everybody else to stick to the standard.
Webmasters (including you) are responsible for letting vendors put you
in this (broken) situation to begin with.  Only webmasters (including
you) can fix it.  If customers aren't able to properly render the vast
majority of websites because thier browser can't render to the
standard worth shit, that browser gets dumped.  Even
corporate-dictated ones.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user