CUPS spews out garbage

CUPS is driving me crazy.

I first tried to use CUPS last year on Mandrake.
But I found that frequently things were going
wrong, and the printer would start spewing
out garbage.  I would clear the /var/spool/cups
directory, restart cups, and things would be
all right for a little while until soon they
went wrong again.

My printer is an Epson Stylus Color 800, which
has been supported under Linux more or less
forever, and even now it is mostly attached
to an older laptop running Red Hat 6.0, because
then it WORKS.

Today I tried once again to install CUPS, this
time under debian woody.  Following the advice
on linuxprinting.org, I am using the gimpprint
drivers.  No sooner had I started printing out
my first document (from openoffice) than the
printer stopped (one line was printed correctly).
When I restarted the printer, there was nothing
but garbage.

Should I go back to lpr?  Any other suggestions?
CUPS has been so highly praised that I expected more,
especially since Epson has such a long history
of Linux support.

Conrad

siisu:/home/conrad# dpkg -l '*cups*' '*foo*' gs enscript mpage gsfonts
psfontmgr | grep ii
ii  cupsys         1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
ii  cupsys-client  1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro
ii  cupsys-driver- 4.2.0-4        gimp-print printer driver for CUPS
ii  cupsys-pstoras 1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - pstoraster
ii  libcupsys2     1.1.14-4.3     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libqtcups2     2.0-4          Qt interface library for CUPS
ii  qtcups         2.0-4          Qt front-end for CUPS.
ii  foomatic-bin   0.20020408-4   Printer/Driver database and print system - b
ii  foomatic-db    0.20020408-4   Printer/Driver database and print system - m
ii  gs             6.53-3         The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter
ii  enscript       1.6.3-1.1      Converts ASCII text to Postscript, HTML, RTF
ii  mpage          2.5.1pre-6     print multiple pages per sheet on PostScript
ii  gsfonts        6.0-2          Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  psfontmgr      0.11.0         PostScript font manager -- part of Defoma, D