Re: [OT] Actually Way OT - Debian version names

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 12:18, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Nope, it's quite intentional.
>
> Ths fun site is keeping up with who's who.  On the Debian.org site
> there's a "Debian Releases" which describes stable, testing, etc.  The
> last line of each group uses the toystory names...
>
> I think when we go to 4.0 they should be named after characters from
> Tremmors...
>
> Robert
>
> Thus spake deFreese, Barry (Barry.deFreese@nike.com):
>
> > OK, this is probably a newbie question and maybe it has been covered before
> > but it's been buggin' me for a while.
> >
> > So we have Potato, Woody, Sid, Sarge.  Are the Debian folks Toy Story fans
> > or is it just coincidence?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Barry deFreese
> > NTS Technology Services Manager
> > Nike Team Sports
> > (949)-616-4005
> > Barry.deFreese@nike.com
> >
> > "Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
> > Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell
> >

> > --
>
> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
> FYI:
>  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

It is because Sid was considered to be not the nicest character, and
hence a qestionable name to release under, that when it was selected and
assigned to Unstable, it was decided that it would be a good idea to
leave it on Unstable.

That said, although the releases are not so frequent that this will be
an immediate concern, eventually Debian will run out of characters from
the movie(s). I'm not personally sure that I feel too good about dealing
with characters copyrighted (and probably trademarked) by a company that
very ardently pursues (and litigates) intellectual property matters.
Micro-rant there...
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org