Re: wine and IE

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 06:34:35AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:27:22PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> >> Telling your (potential) customers they're not welcome on your site is
> >> not an option.
> >
> >I never suggested it was.  What I did state, though, is that folks run
> >a reasonably recent version of whatever browser they prefer and file
> >bug reports against non-compliant rendering.  IMO, this is the Right
> >Way to handle the problem.
>
> By suggesting that the customer is at fault because he can't see your
> site the way you intended it be seen, is to suggest they are not
> welcome.  Remember, the average visitor to a web site has no idea what a
> bug report is.
>
> What is more reasonable, the shopkeeper cater to the customer --- or
> vice versa?

Not everybody developing for the web is a shopkeeper (thank God). If I'm
not trying to sell something and therefore achieve Perfect Marketing Zen
in the quest to do so, I honestly don't care if their rendering is a bit
off due to them using a five-year-old browser; I'll write
standards-compliant content - which means that browsers should be able
to extract the information even if not all the formatting - and if the
rendering doesn't look right then that's their problem.

In general, people who think of the way pages are "intended to be seen"
are missing the point of the web. Will your pixel-perfect design look
the way you intended it to look on my PDA? The standards emphasize
semantic markup, not physical markup, and leave the details of rendering
up to the browser where they belong. CSS merely provides hints.