Re: *tex: personal ls-R being owned by root

martin f krafft wrote:

also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2003.02.20.0028 +0100]:

Something's clearly setuid root. Figure out what it is and file a bug
for not dropping privileges appropriately.

I searched all over / (find / -perm +4000) but could not find anything
TeX related. I have attached the list of setuid binaries to this email
for reference. You'll agree with me that there's nothing in there that
could cause this.

Since ls-R is likely created by /usr/bin/mktexlsr (which shouldn't be setuid) and /usr/bin/mktexlsr is executed by cron as root from /etc/cron.daily/tetex-bin I would assume that something in your configuration includes your home directory.

What do you get when you run as root:

kpsewhich --show-path=ls-R

Andreas
--